Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ups and Downs of Ground Cover



Hello, dear blog readers! While on the road today, I had a few thoughts about the challenges of weed control and ground cover. (Or perhaps, I'm such a gardening amateur that "ground cover" isn't the proper term?)

Anyway, as renters, there is very little we can do to the existing grounds other than to try to pull weeds on a regular basis. I have to add a caveat before I say anything else: our landlords did a GREAT job designing the landscaping of their yard themselves. The only criticism I have is the use of pulverized tire.

Now, I will be the first to say that I appreciate "reduce, reuse, recycle" when and where possible. I think that there are ways to use pulverized tire in gardening that maintain an eco-friendly appeal. It maintains its color and looks great.

The downside: unless you have it contained with garden hedging/stonework/etc, it floats away or blows away in the rain and wind. We have seen it washed down our driveway, down the street, and into the water drainage. When it leaves bare ground in its wake, the weeds strategically plan an overnight coup. I could say that I think the local spider populace has possibly formed an underground crime syndicate and is wandering away with the pulverized tire at night just to spite me or sell it on the black market to the snake locals, but I have no proof.




(This was Fiona, who was SO big and SO intimidating to me--the arachnophobe--that I ceased to be terrified and let her eat several bugs in our yard until she disappeared in the fall to run her underground syndicate.)


I digressed...Back to topic. We also had some difficulty with tire bits getting thrown by the weed eater and lawn mower, and our neighbor has had the same complaint.


The upside: at least I have the benefit of learning from the curve of another gardener.

Happy spring and happy Wednesday to you all, dear blog readers and blog friends everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment