Monday, May 13, 2013

Silly

Hello, dear blog readers!

Mondays are long. Mondays aren't great. There's a reason why a lot of people here Stateside resent Mondays. For us, it means cleaning up stuff that has been strewn around by kids over the weekend, doing laundry that has accumulated over the weekend, etc.

Hubby and I were talking tonight about the connotations of "silly." For him, the answer was anything having to do with the height of stupidity. "Silly" equates "dumb."

When he asked me what the first thing that came to mind about "silly," I honestly had to answer "balloons." For me, "silly" entails my children laughing for no apparent reason. It means chasing the kiddies around the apartment while they squeal with laughter. There is no "good reason" for this behavior; we all just need a good laugh.

Watching a "silly" movie: does it really serve a functional purpose? I may not be a huge fan of modern comedians, but generally-speaking, if I can find a light-hearted (and clean-content) movie that even my kids can enjoy, I think "silly" has its place in this world. It teaches us that there is still a place for laughter, despite whatever pain comes our way. It gives us hope that one day, we might be able to laugh again, despite our hardships. It's not just a stupid, mindless activity. "Silliness" helps us release tension for the time being.

I'm writing this to in order to remind myself that laughs are needed more than for any other reason. While I have had mixed reviews on the subject of "being silly" recently, I hope that you, dear blog readers, find a good reason to laugh today, especially if you don't have an obvious reason for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment