Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Store Reactions

Hello, dear blog readers! I was thinking today about how I used to react to people who had screaming children before I had my own. I now feel very differently than I did then. I find myself far more patient and sympathetic of those moms at the grocery store who are just trying to get some things and check out before the child goes into complete meltdown.

When I didn't have children of my own, I used to keep my thoughts to myself--at least, I did in front of the parents or in public. I'm completely amazed at the responses I get sometimes from complete strangers.

For example: we were shopping at a local grocery store. The checkout lanes are designed to be very narrow so that your child can actually reach those items on the shelf that you might not normally buy--everything from chewing gum to chocolate. We had been through the store and were handed a free sample of a chocolate truffle. I thought I would be the Really Cool Mom and split said chocolate between my kids while we were waiting in a very slow-processing line to check out. That was mistake number one.

Mistake number two was getting into a line where the Mother's Day Chocolate Boxes were in Grabbing Distance for small children. When Blossom tried to grab a box and it plummeted to the floor, she burst into tears. I put it back on the shelf. Lem noticed the boxes and immediately commenced begging. I was not amused.

Mistake number three: right then and there I told them that if they continued to whine, they would not get the remaining free sample I had in the cart. This resulted in the complete meltdown of Lem, who was crying so loudly that Blossom joined in the chaotic ruckus.

An older gentleman approached and tried to joke and tease with the kids, asking if they were getting teeth. Mistake number four: I should have just nodded my head and smiled, but I told him they were mad that they weren't getting more chocolate. I don't know why I felt the need to be so completely honest, but I did. As I was conversing with him, the lady in front of us shook her head at the noise. The clerk mumbled something under his breath to her. As we put our items into the que, he said to me, "No one cries at this store! Just buy them the chocolate!"

I know that a lot of people believe that moms and dads should just do whatever it takes in the heat of the moment to quiet their children, but I have to say that in the moment (while I was SORELY tempted), I smiled and thanked them for their advice, which I completely ignored. I used to think that parenting was a little more black-and-white than it really is. I was reminded recently that parenting is making judgments for the sakes of the children, NOT for the sakes of our own convenience.

They went to bed without any Mother's Day (or more sample) chocolates, not to mention the disciplining that occurred when we got home. And at the end of the day, Lemmy sat on the couch, cuddled up to his sister and me, and stated, "I love you, Mommy." I guess I'm not ruining him entirely after all.

Happy Wednesday, dear blog readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment